Purpose of the Job
To support project delivery teams in control and reporting of the capital investment programme.
- Develop and maintain accounting procedures to deliver integrity of costs, forecasts and budgets.
- Support project teams in challenging and determining drivers of deviations in cost and schedule.
- Complete all technical accounting tasks in line with current standards and rules; including processing and validation of capital accruals, maintenance of work breakdown structure, payment processing, capitalisation and project closure.
- Develop and maintain budgetary control over the project/s by reporting variances, utilisation and risks/opportunities to the business managers in an appropriate format and in a timely manner.
- Prepare financial reports and analysis of construction costs and associated KPIs.
- Monitor compliance with corporate governance processes within projects.
- Maintain the integrity of the financial general ledger systems and the associated project control systems
- Work with project delivery teams and Project Controls to establish robust cost control and reporting including obtaining understanding, and support, for any variances.
- Review and validate period cost, progress and KPI reports.
- Audit costs and payments.
- Support project teams in submitting change requests for approval, having robustly challenged the business case or change request.
- Support project teams in the effective management of their budgets.
- Management of Project Bank Accounts.
- Conduct financial analysis of suppliers.
- To assist in other duties as necessary that may be required within the business.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
- Developing relationships with the Project (project managers, controls and commercial staff) and outside (contractors and stakeholders)
- Gaining acceptance of the standard of control required amongst project teams and suppliers
- Establishing and gaining acceptance to effective financial control and reporting
- A recognised accountancy qualification (CA, ACA, CIMA or ACCA).
- Projector management accounting experience.
- Confident and credible when working with senior managers and third parties.
- Strong communicator both in written and oral, able to convey financial information in a clear, structured manner. The ability to work flexibly and effectively with a range of colleagues and third parties.
- Strong analytical skills.
- A pragmatic focus on commercial issues.
- Major construction / rail / engineering projects experience desirable.
- Internal or external audits experience desirable.
- Project control and reporting practice desirable.
- A high standard of professionalism.
- Good communication skills with an ability to make complex information easy to understand;
- Natural attention to detail; Absolute commitment to completing tasks to deadlines.
- Resilience and determination.
- A dynamic, self-starting work ethic