Communications Engineer - Radio
Purpose of the Job
Undertake technical client and assurance role in designated technical areas in relation to the delivery of Communications and Control Systems (C&C Systems) by the Systemwide Delivery team and its contractors.
- Review and accept the selected design and testing & commissioning deliverables produced by C&C Systems contractor and other relevant parties (principal review criteria being compliance with: prescribed standards; operations & maintenance concepts; technical requirements)
- Witness testing & commissioning activities, including attendance at FATs and SATs; produce observation/verification activity reports to help build the assurance case for acceptance
- Support Systemwide Delivery team in resolving technical issues as they arise on site
- Assess assurance evidence produced by C&C Systems contractor and other relevant parties in areas including requirements compliance, interface management, verification and validation, RAMS and EMC
- Investigate technical issues, produce technical reports and prepare contractor communications as required
- Liaise with infrastructure managers to facilitate acceptance of delivered systems
- Resolve detailed requirements issues relating to third party interfaces to C&C Systems
- Provide technical support as directed within the team, to delivery partners and to others including, the Surface Directorate, Rolling Stock and Depot team, Technical Assurance team
- Assess and approve changes to technical requirements, including relevant system performance specifications, which provide the requirements baseline for delivery contracts
- Take reasonable care of own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles
- Cooperate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working; encourage and support others to do so too
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction; never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
- Ensuring that the delivered systems comply with prescribed requirements
- Establishing productive working relationships with operators and maintainers, Systemwide Delivery Team, external stakeholders/third-party interfaces
- Facilitating acceptance of the C&C systems by the Infrastructure Managers.
- Specific technical knowledge of radio systems engineering in a railway environment including some knowledge of some or all of GSM-R, Airwave, LFEPA Ch 5, public cellular, LU Connect.
- General knowledge of communications systems and their application on railways
- Tertiary level academic qualification in communications engineering or allied discipline
- Communications project engineering experience gained in a major rail projects environment; including experience of design, construction and testing & commissioning phases
- Knowledge and experience of application of systems engineering and technical assurance methods and practices
- Good communications and team-working skills.
Please call Karen on - 01189550600