Purpose of the Job
To manage and co-ordinate all aspects and activities associated with concessions to the company and other applicable Rail Industry Standards to support the Technical Assurance planning for the Project.
The principal accountabilities for this role are to:
- Agree and implement the process for recording and gaining acceptance of all concessions/derogations against agreed Standards with the relevant body
- Support the Chief Engineer, Delivery Teams and contractors to ensure concession/derogation requests are of the appropriate quality to facilitate timely approval in support of the overall programme
- Supporting the Head of Technical Assurance in day to day team activities which could include the closing out of final design overview (FDO) responsibilities, assuring changes to the design during the construction and installation phases and developing assurance processes for Handover
- Where appropriate, produce concessions/derogations against agreed Standards in the Baseline and gain approval from the relevant body
- Maintain the mechanism for recording and tracking concessions/derogations through to acceptance by the Standard owner and where appropriate suggest improvements to the process
- Develop appropriate reports to communicate the status of concessions to key stakeholders and produce these with the required frequency
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
The post holder will need to develop strong working relationships with the Infrastructure Managers, Delivery Teams and contractors as well as internally to the organisation.
The post holder is required to:
- Set and maintain a high level of professional performance
- Ensure that, when a change or derogation from previously determined project standards needs to be considered, the change promoter provides sufficient technical information to enable the decision to be assessed at the appropriate level within the company and, if appropriate, by external certifying bodies
- Liaise closely with the parties responsible for reviewing and accepting concessions in order to facilitate timely progress of the documents through the various process steps
- Represent the company to appropriate external parties
- Attend meetings in particular with railway partners and contractors
- Experience of Standards/concessions Management in the context of major infrastructure projects, preferably within the rail industry
- Knowledge of Technical Assurance activities for a major project.
- Professional qualification in engineering or an associated discipline
- Good interpersonal skills with proven ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplined team
- Ability to interface with railway domain specialists, design managers and construction project managers, in a competent professional manner
- Maintenance of Continuing Professional Development to keep abreast of skills and knowledge in his/her professional discipline
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Packages (Word, Excel, etc)