Field Engineer – Premises
Purpose of the Job
To oversee the technical and quality aspects of construction and activities within an area of responsibility as appointed for a geographic location, contract or a system.
Directly reporting to the Lead Field Assurance Engineer – (Premises) on Site, for the assigned NEC3 contract(s) and provide management support to act as Technical and Engineering matters on behalf of the Chief Engineer in order to ensure compliance of the Works with Sponsors Requirements and the Assurance Process.
Provide support to the Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises) in order to discharge the following activities:
- Assisting the Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises) in discharging delegated duties and responsibilities under NEC3 ECC.
- On behalf of the Project Engineering Team, represent the Chief Engineer by providing support of the Technical Acceptance of the Contractors’ submissions (including method statements and work package plans, on a risk-based approach and where obligated by third-party agreements) to ensure compliance with the project’s Requirements, the NEC3 Contract, the Works Information Volumes 2A/B/C and Technical Assurance Plan, processes and procedures.
- Disposition and approval of changes to technical requirements (as delegated by the Chief Engineer), including relevant system performance specifications and technical standards.
- Provide oversight of design completion and compliance for the Works and/or Element(s), including ensuring all boundaries, interfaces and systems are integrated and coordinated between interfacing contracts
- Provide Field Engineering input to the RFI/NCR/FCD and Concessions process and where directed seeking input from the Technical Director’s discipline specialists.
- Support the Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises) in the review and acceptance of the Contractors Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs).
- Monitoring the contractor’s compliance with their ITPs and participating in some hold, witness and review points, seeking support as required from the Technical Director’s discipline specialists.
- Supporting the Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises) in the review and acceptance of the Contractor’s Material Compliance Records (MCRs).
- Providing input to the NCR and Snag List process at contract level seeking support as required from the Technical Director’s discipline specialists and other specialist functions in evaluating conformances and assessing contractor recommended dispositions
- Undertaking reviews as required of contractor technical submittals (including method statements and work package plans where obligated by third-party agreements only).
- Support the production and acceptance of the project’s Verification Activity Plans (VAP), including review and acceptance of the Contractor’s Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs), compiling comments, and validating the required witness, and review points based on the respective technical and quality specification of the contract and applicable code requirements (supported by the Project Manager, the Chief Engineer and the Quality Manager).
- Keeping the Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises) informed of all technical issues on site.
- Supporting the Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises) in the review and acceptance of contractor certification packages.
- Provide risk-based assessment of assurance evidence produced by Contractors in areas including materials compliance, requirements compliance, interface management, verification and validation, RAMS, EMC, As-Built information.
- Liaise with infrastructure managers to facilitate their ultimate process for acceptance of the Works.
- Represent the Project at relevant technical panels, design reviews, etc. Including those attended by external parties.
- Support the named Supervisor’s Representative under NEC3 ECC and as further defined within Quality Management system and the Contractors obligations for a self-assuring framework.
- Monitoring the contractor’s compliance with Environmental, Health & Safety requirements, escalating issues and seeking intervention where required.
- Support the Project Engineering Team to coordinate obligations (Client, Designer and Principle Designer) under CDM 2015 as set out in the CDM Procedure and Project Execution Information.
- To be proactive and supportive to others within the team to optimise the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the team.
- As part of Assurance Process provide technical representation for and on behalf of the Chief Engineer for acceptance of witnessing tests, inspections and verification activities for an the Works.
- Support the Project Engineering Team in the responsibility for compliance with the LU Development Agreement (See Volume 2B Part 11), Docklands Light Railway Interface [Part 12], and Network Rail Interface [Part 10] where applicable.
- Monitoring the contractor’s compliance with Environmental, Safety & Health requirements, escalating issues and seeking intervention where required.
- Support the Project Engineering Team by undertaking surveillance activities of the Works.
- Reviewing and accepting the Contractors Commitments Compliance Plans, Construction Certificates and data to support the Employer’s Completion Process and Handover Management Plan.
- Assisting the Site Manager, Lead Field Assurance Engineer and Project Field Engineer with the authorisation of payment certificates. Providing input to the Business Manager on costs to be disallowed related to quality issues and NCRs.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to the Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk
Main challenges of the job
- Identify key technical, quality issues for resolution.
- Maintaining the design configuration for the scoped asset and its interfaces.
- Complying with the Project programme.
- Technical Assurance of the Works in accordance with the Employer’s (FDC) designs.
- Works verification activities in support of Quality Control processes and procedures.
- Manage FDC/Contractor Designer’s mitigation plans to effective conclusions.
Dimensions & Interfaces
- Reports to Lead Field Assurance Engineer (Premises)
- Supervisor’s Representative
- Field Assurance Engineers
- Contractor’s and Contractor Designers
- Third Party designers and interfaces e.g. Over site Developers and Local Authority/Utility Companies
- Works closely with construction management, site management staff, area quality representatives, engineering and document control
- Degree/ HND qualified engineer or equivalent experience (Working towards either Chartered or Incorporated).
- Site-based experience of engineering and/or construction on major infrastructure projects, including experience of design, pre-construction activities, construction, testing & commissioning phases and the associated assurance thereof.
- Knowledge and experience of construction quality systems and processes
- Knowledge of the NEC3 form of contract and of CDM Regulations 2015.
- Knowledge and experience of site-based ES&H processes and procedures/regulations
- Excellent communications and team-working skills