Purpose of the Job
- Provide technical support to the Head of MEP for Fire engineering under the authority of the Chief Engineer
- To review Contractor deliverables against procedures and Employers requirements
- Provide support to Engineering Managers in the specialist area of Fire Services
- Provide technical advice to Contractors as necessary, including guidance on Standards, Specifications and responses to Project Technical Requests (PTR)
- Provide support to other directorates in Fire engineering disciplines.
- To identify and manage technical risk in Fire engineering across the program.
- Technical review of designs developed by Contractors in respect of safety by design, technical acceptability and compliance with standards.
- Review that the designs prepared by the Contractors have been fully coordinated and integrated. Provision of support to Contractors, delivered through the Engineering Managers, to resolve MEP interface issues where requested.
- Review of Constructability and Maintainability of Contractors' designs developed by the Contractors.
- Initiate and support value management/engineering initiatives and to promote and support common design and standardization where appropriate.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others' health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate within all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorized disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
Working with key stakeholders London Underground, Rail for London and regulatory authorities such as London Fire Brigade to ensure that (generally, infrastructure - built environment) conforms to all requirements required to satisfy stakeholders and achieve compliance with Standards, with specific reference being Materials and Passive Fire stopping (aka compartmentation).
Lead responsibility for technical responses, promoting common design and standardisation
for: JP12 - Fire and Acoustic Stopping
- Degree qualified Engineer or equivalent experience
- Considerable experience on large multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects including experience in fire stopping, assessment of materials used and methods of application
- Knowledge and experience of installation, testing and commissioning of passive and active systems and the methods used to provide assurance to end users
- Experience in the rail environment, and the challenges encountered in dealing with regulations pertaining to this field. Previous experience of working with London Underground and/or Rail for London would be beneficial.