Health and Safety Specialist – Assurance
Purpose of the Job
Delivery of health and safety assurance assessments and reviews in relation to:
- The Company and stakeholders’ approaches to the assessment and management of health and safety risk.
- Compliance with health and safety legislation or company procedures, in design, construction and preparation for operation of the completed railway.
The work will be undertaken to support Target Zero principles.
- To carry out H&S Assurance assessments and reviews in accordance with the Integrated Audit & Assurance schedule and H&S Assurance Plan; produce reports and issue Corrective Action Requests in a timely manner.
- To support auditees (both internal and external) in understanding and addressing any identified deficiencies in their safe working processes.
- To provide advice and assistance so that others understand their obligations and how to achieve them.
- To plan and implement assurance activities including surveillance, inspection and audit activities within the annual audit programme and annual assurance plan.
- To provide advice and information to support the development of health and safety management systems.
- To report the status of the company and stakeholder’s compliance with health and safety requirements.
- To monitor and provide assurance to the H&S Director on the delivery of health and safety approvals required for the opening of individual elements of the railway and the railway as a whole.
- To work with the rest of the Assurance teams to ensure coverage at all times of the assurance aims of the team.
- To provide guidance and support on safety across the business in the drive to achieve Target Zero aspirations.
- To support in the management and development of Health and Safety Directorate initiatives to establish risk evaluation-based initiatives to support Target Zero.
- To support existing and new programmes to maintain and improve construction health and safety management across the company and Stakeholder Management teams.
- To take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- To co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- To act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- To promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- To take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
- Multiple departmental, stakeholder and contractual interfaces with varying systems and reporting cultures.
- Ensuring that all assurance activities are carried out to schedule and in accordance with Company auditing procedures and processes.
- Ensuring effective communication on H&S assurance issues across the company, and to stakeholder organisations and Construction Contractors.
- To ensure the assurance activities contribute towards a positive health and safety culture across the programme.
- Balancing a variety of priorities to ensure timely delivery in accordance with agreed deadlines.
- NEBOSH Diploma, NVQ level 4, or equivalent Health and Safety qualification supported by appropriate amount of relevant professional experience. NEBOSH Certificate / NEBOSH Construction Certificate may be acceptable if supported by substantial amount of relevant professional experience.
- Detailed working knowledge of OHSAS 18001 and UK Safety Legislation, with particular reference to safety in the construction and / or railway environment.
- Qualified systems auditor, preferably IRCA registered; appropriate amount of experience of carrying out and following up assessments / audits in a similar environment.
- Good working knowledge of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, and the application of these Standards in the construction and / or railway environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations and proven experience of advising on their implementation across all the duty holders.
- Strong communication skills with experience of working across all levels of an organisation.
- (S)NVQ level 3, or equivalent, management knowledge and skill supported by appropriate quantities of relevant continuous professional experience.
- Proven experience of delivering in a similar role in the railway / construction industry.
Please contact Barnie on :- 07879116457