Lead Contract Administrator - Stations
Purpose of the Job
- To oversee that all stations, shafts and portals sector NEC contracts entered into are administered in accordance with the terms of those contracts and in a manner that is consistent with policy and governance arrangements.
- To manage project reserved functions under the NEC contracts. Ensure as far as possible that commercial risk is properly considered and managed through its contract arrangements.
- To provide commercial/contractual support and advice to station Project Managers and Teams.
- To manage cost forecasts for all NEC contracts.
- To establish and maintain the Contract Administration Policy.
- Maintain the project Contract Administration Manual to ensure compliance and consistency with policy and governance arrangements.
- Provide advice, support and guidance to the Delivery Director.
- Provide leadership and guidance on contract administration matters to Project Mangers, contract level Business/commercial Managers and Contract Administrators.
- Ensure that the station project teams are managing contracts in accordance with policies, precedent and procedure.
- Manage the central commercial team and act as Employer’s representative for commercial issues.
- Act as the internal point of contact for the management of contract Disputes.
- Provide the project and the Head of Commercial with support in the performance and risk management of individual contracts and project teams.
- Secure timely cost forecasts from projects and report variances to overall forecast.
- Set suitable KPIs for contract monitoring.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
- Maintaining the integrity of approach to Contract Administration for the NEC contracts as defined in policies and as required by the contract conditions.
- Keeping the project suitably informed of their obligations and ensuring that these are carried out in a timely manner.
- Evaluating the circumstances of Disputes and advising the project on options and courses of action.
- Balancing the demands of the schedule with the requirement to obtain the best value for money.
- Degree (or equivalent) in Quantity Surveying, Engineering or Construction Management.
- Membership of a relevant professional institution e.g. RICS, ICE, CIOB.
- Substantial experience of Contract Commercial Management within the civil engineering and/or rail environment.
- Experience of large value programmes of civil engineering or rail work.
- Experience in managing and negotiating complex contract claims and Disputes.
- Understanding and a working knowledge of standard construction and infrastructure industry contract types with NEC/ECC experience advantageous.
- Experience of the management of commercial teams.
- Excellent communication skills.