Safety Assurance Engineer
Reporting to the Safety Assurance Lead/Manager on the following Great Western Main Line projects, which are the responsibility of a single Project Director:
- ETCS Stage B/C
- ETCS Amendment 12 for Plasser’s Crossing (associated with ETCS Switchable Balises and LEUs)
- Paddington to Reading (conventional signalling works)
- Paddington Train Detection (currently GRIP 3 works associated with moving from Track Circuits to Axle Counters manufactured by both Frauscher and Thales (including any associated approvals))
The successful candidate will provide local support for the Engineering Safety Management and Safety Assurance Activities of these projects for the client SS&I from the end of August 2018 for an initial period of three months when the role will be subject to review.
In order to support our client’s requirements to meet Interoperability and Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment; Engineering Safety Management, Safety Assurance, Product Acceptance and Homologation are central to our way of working.
Safety Assurance Engineers shall support the Safety Assurance Manager on a project in ensuring that their allocated SS&I project/scheme (s) meet all necessary legislative and safety requirements and responsibilities.
Activities will involve the candidate in packages of Engineering Safety Management work as directed by the Safety Assurance Lead/Manager including:
- Provide engineering safety assurance support to the Safety Assurance Lead/Manager
- Practical Implementation of an Engineering Safety Management Lifecycle for compliance with the Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment and CENELEC Standards including
- Project hazard analysis / Safety Risk Activities (including technical secretary for Hazard Identification activities)
- Hazard (Log/Record) Management, Mitigation and Closure
- Support the development of safety assurance documentation including Safety Plans, Safety Cases or Safety Justification Report(s)
- Engineering safety management liaison at all levels within SS&I (especially other members of the Safety Assurance Team (who, for the ETCS B/C project, are based in Belgium, Project Managers, Contractor’s Engineering Managers and Contractor’s Responsible Engineers (who are based either in the Network Rail project office at Enterprise House or in our UK’s offices) and externally with the customer.
- The candidate will be based as part of an integrated team in the Network Rail project office but may be expected to travel occasionally to other UK office locations as well as project/site offices related to their project responsibilities
- To comply with, undertake and promote all relevant Environment, Health & Safety measures, responsibilities and activities.
The candidate shall demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Educated to Higher National Diploma or equivalent in Systems Engineering related subject with a good pass in English and Mathematics (at GCSE or equivalent)
- Experience of:
- Safety assurance of UK signalling projects
- Conventional UK signalling and interlocking application projects
- Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment and associated procedures and application
- CENELEC Standards including BS EN50126/8/9 and associated procedures and application
- Smartlock 400
- ETCS Trainborne/Resignalling
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (in written and spoken English)
- Good style of concise written arguments and report preparation
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work to timescales and prioritise work to meet deadlines
- Understanding of
- ETCS trackside applications
- Database related applications
Please call Barnie on - 01189550600