Testing & Commissioning Manager
Purpose of the Job
Testing & Commissioning Manager will be the prime focal point for all T&C activity between C610 and the many other parties that interface with C610, from a design, planning, safety, construction, T&C and assurance perspective. This critical, senior leadership role will be responsible for holding the C610 Main Contractor to account and ensuring that our strategic and detailed T&C plans, and corresponding reports/metrics, are in place, are robust and evolve as required over time.
The C610 Testing & Commissioning Manager will be responsible for navigating the C610 teams through the complex phases of testing, pre-com and commissioning, then ultimately into handover. The Test and Commissioning Manager will work extensively with the many interfacing entities involved, to ensure detailed organisational structures, schedules, skylines, T&C ITP’s, resource-loaded programs, approvals, training plans handover plans (O&M’s) are in place and being progressed to plan. Many of these items will be developed by others, but it will be the responsibility of the Testing & Commissioning Manager to ensure the robustness, quality and submittal timeliness, of all such deliverables.
Accountable to ensure that C610:
- Maintains an integrated T&C strategy with supporting, associated plans that support the overall MOHS objectives
- Delivers against those plans, in a safe, timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Populates and issues its performance T&C and Handover Dashboards in a timely manner, and actions are in place to move RAG items towards green.
- Is well represented at the numerous and increasing number of forums.
- Has a solid plan that is being enacted for ROGS exemptions, OSP’s and other approval processes.
- Works with other team members to ensure they deliver their parts, to ensure the overall success of the T&C programme.
- Accountable for providing technical expertise and know-how to all parties, anticipating potential issues ahead of time, providing trouble-shooting knowledge in the field
- Review and input to major safety-critical areas, energisation protocols, managing works adjacent to live HV through stations and in the trace, LOTO.
- Input to the work streams reviewing transition of temporary to permanent services, to ensure robust processes in place for E&B, stray currents.
- Review planned T&C resource levels (and type) against level 4 & 5 plans, and CommLot skylines - and then verify competence once in the field.
- Spend time on site to witness key testing hold points, and support teams with any major diagnostic fault-finding challenges, injecting precious experience.
- Responsible for maintaining and issuing T&C and Handover Dashboards each period, and working with the team to ensure progress remains on track.
- Liaise with all relevant parties and act as the prime point of contact for all T&C activities for C610.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate within all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
- This role will involve influencing many individuals, teams and organisations that may not report directly into the Testing & Commissioning Manager role. The scope extends to the full remit of C610 including all M&E, OHLE, switch rooms, and Permanent Ventilation.
- Management and liaison with a substantial number of entities. Facilitating and coordinating the interfaces between all third parties and stakeholders.
- Soliciting, managing and interpreting large quantities of data from other third parties.
- Changing the culture and ethos from a construction job to a systems T&C job.
- Managing the contractor to perform in accordance with the requirements of the contract, including safety, schedule, cost, self-assured quality.
- Managing huge levels of complexity in a very fast-paced & challenging environment.
- Extensive technical knowledge and practical experience of testing, pre-commissioning and commissioning large industrial systems, preferably within the rail industry
- Substantial knowledge of precedents in the T&C and operations areas and a broad knowledge of principles and practices of related areas.
- Broad knowledge of industry and regulatory standards and criteria pertinent to Rail T&C, maintenance, operations, and testing.
- Highly desirable to have practical experience with design, development, configuration, testing of SCADA, Fieldbus, PLC, DCS system, and management of such projects.
- Demonstrated skill in leadership, collaboration and making things happen.
- Member of a relevant professional institution. Chartered Engineer preferred.
- University degree in an engineering or construction related subject.
Role Specific Requirements
- Proven track record of delivering substantial T&C programmes of comparable size & complexity.
- Experience working within the rail industry sector, and delivering rail systems.
- Proven ability to develop, nurture, influence and manage complex and demanding stakeholders. Evidence of personable and effective leadership style.
- Technical familiarity throughout the delivery project lifecycle.
- Evidence of high energy, collaborative, can-do attitude.
- Proven ability to develop, nurture & manage complex and demanding stakeholders.