TVS Assistant Engineer
Purpose of the Job
The programme is currently within an exciting and challenging phase, with the systemwide scope of works being integrated, tested and commissioned within both the tunnel and the stations, at an increasingly rapid pace.
A substantial and critical part of system-wide’s Contract C610 is to manage the design, installation and commissioning of the permanent ventilation system. This advanced system spans 19 locations and is one of the largest and most sophisticated tunnel ventilation control systems ever constructed in Europe. The team is in need of a self-motivated graduate engineer to support, drive and oversee a range of technical, commissioning and quality related activities.
The individual will be expected to participate fully in the programme and to drive their own performance and progress towards relevant accreditation.
- Support the team to manage and drive the contractor’s progress and performance in the field, within the Ventilation T&C domain
- Shadow the C610 leadership team and act as facilitators for a wide range of activities.
- Provide input into engineering solutions/specifications to resolve queries and coordinate resolution of issues where required.
- Communicate information to keep project team members informed of technical issues and progress.
- Provide support with the coordination of the supply of technical information where required and assist with managing the interface arrangements such that other disciplines are supplied with information to allow their progression.
- Monitor contractor compliance with Environmental, Safety and Health requirements, escalating issues and seeking intervention where required.
- Receive and comment on contractor reports, attend contractor progress review meetings and develop and maintain supporting documentation.
- Drive own performance and progress in relation to industry accreditation/ charter ship, including meeting regularly with supervisor/ mentor.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk
Main challenges of the job
- Respond quickly to changing priorities, working autonomously or part of a team as tasks dictate.
- Support the C610 Ventilation team in day to day activities, as directed and required
- Taking ownership of delegated tasks and proactively manages through to completion.
- Delivering to deadlines in a dynamic project environment where change is a constant characteristic.
- Fostering strong, robust working relationships with stakeholders, industry partners, design team consultants and contractors
- Ensuring that all work completed meets relevant standards and best practice guidance and is documented in an appropriate fashion.
- Committed, hard-working and wants to make a difference
- 2:1 degree in engineering or construction preferred, but not essential
- 1-year industry experience preferable, but not essential
- High standards of written communication, verbal, numerical and inductive reasoning.
- Solid analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office tools.
- A proactive, flexible, hands-on approach to identification and resolution of problems.
- Self-motivated to overcome potential barriers and obstacles.
- Able to identify and embrace change.
- A strong focus on internal and external customers.
- Ability to share information, knowledge and skills.