Purpose of the Job
Responsible for the direction of all Programme Controls activity across the entire Programme (including planning, cost management, risk management, commercial assurance, reporting and management against the Programme Measurement Baseline). The Programme Controls function is responsible for setting the programme management standards and procedures, providing assurance and governance that the standards and procedures are complied with and ensuring appropriate planned, actual and forecast data is provided and summarised in accurate, useful and timely reports.
Also responsible for providing various stakeholders ranging from external Sponsors, Board/Executive, through to the Delivery teams at Programme, Group and Project levels timely and accurate information, acting as the “eyes and ears” of the Chief Programme Officer and CFO in achieving the programme’s performance measurement objectives.
Collaborate with other Support functions, particularly Commercial and Finance.
- Provide functional leadership and technical direction for all Programme Controls staff, and day-to-day line management of direct reports
- Provide strategic advice on cost/schedule integration, cost, risk and reporting issues affecting the Programme.
- Oversee the provision of accurate, succinct, informative, useful and timely reporting of Programme performance across the enterprise and its delivery partners. This includes periodic Board Reports, Management Information packs and Semi-Annual Construction Reports, as well as the co-ordination of the data and reports used in the periodic programme governance meetings.
- Maintain and evolve the integrated programme management system based around the fundamentals of robust data control.
- Develop and implement appropriate transition strategies for the End-Programme transition to TfL.
- Interface with customers, contractors and other outside personnel to ensure integration of Programme Controls tools and an easily accessible flow of data that is consistent and, as far as possible, free from duplication.
- Produce accurate, succinct, focused, intelligent, rigorous, informative and timely reports and management information prepared in collaboration with leads and directors ensure consistency of approach and eliminate duplication as far as possible.
- Support the Executive Directors and Project Directors by providing Programme Controls capabilities and services.
- Ensure quality of Programme Controls information through use of standardised tools, integrated programme and project control processes and systems. As a minimum these processes (and associated systems) should include:
- Cost/Schedule integration
- Cost management;
- Risk and issue management (including Quantitative Schedule and Cost Risk Analysis)
- Baseline control; and
- Seek to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the programme controls processes and systems continuously.
- Where required, develop and implement effective and efficient Programme Controls training and communication activities.
- Demonstrate compliance with all related industry leading practice and standards and ensure the company adopts practices which provide industry-leading value for money in controls.
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day delivery of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times.
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so too.
- Promote equality and inclusivity in the workplace and adopt appropriate behaviour when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main Challenges of the Job
- To interact effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, including senior internal and external stakeholders (who may have non-technical backgrounds), as well as being able to understand, support and challenge technical Delivery and Operations staff.
- To develop and maintain effective relationships, and trust with key stakeholders including the Executives, Programme and Project Delivery Teams and Industry Partners.
- To maintain an inquisitive, collaborative, proactive and responsive culture of excellence within the Programme Controls team. This should include the escalation of issues to enable focused and timely intervention by senior management.
- To absorb, manage, analyse and interpret significant volumes of data, and articulate key trends and/or issues for management attention.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Business, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or equivalent experience and training.
- Substantial relevant experience including programme and project controls experience on major infrastructure programmes.
- Expert knowledge of all programme controls functions (including schedule, cost, risk, reporting and change control).
- Appropriate knowledge of programme control tools and methodologies such as Primavera P6, critical-path analysis, earned value analysis, and Monte Carlo analysis.
- Experience of complex engineering programmes at commissioning and entry into service phases
- Commercial awareness re: supply chain engagement and contracting mechanisms
- Familiarity with other key computer packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Web applications)
- Experience of working in a large team, used to handling competing priorities and challenging deadlines.
- Proven people manager and team leader with excellent communications skills, gravitas and experience of reporting at Board level.
Please contact Karen on :- 07917833970