Lead Field Assurance Engineer – Civils
Purpose of the Job
Directly reporting to the Supervisor’s Representative on site, for the assigned NEC3 contract(s) and to act as the Technical and Engineering Lead on behalf of the Chief Engineer in order to ensure compliance of the Works with Sponsors Requirements and the Assurance Process.
Carry out the role of Lead Field Assurance Engineer to be accountable for:
- On behalf of the Project Manager, represent the Chief Engineer by providing Technical Acceptance of the Contractors’ submissions (including method statements and work package plans, on a risk-based approach and where obligated by third party agreements) to ensure compliance with the Employer’s Requirements, the NEC3 Contract, the Works Information Volumes 2A/B/C and Technical Assurance Plan, processes and procedures.
- Act as the named individual who has delegated authority to perform the role of Employer’s Agent
(on behalf of the Chief Engineer) for NEC3 Professional Services Contract 1XX.
- Disposition and approval of changes to technical requirements (as delegated by the Chief
Engineer), including relevant system performance specifications and technical standards.
- Provide oversight of design completion and compliance for the Works and/or Element(s), including ensuring all boundaries, interfaces and systems are integrated and coordinated between interfacing contracts
- Provide resolution of arising technical issues, RFI’s, FCD’s, NCR’s, derogations, concessions.
- Support the production and acceptance of the Employer’s Verification Activity Plans, including review and acceptance of the Contractor’s Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs), compiling comments, and validating the required Witness, and Review points based on the respective technical and quality specification of the contract and applicable code requirements (supported by the Project Manager, the Chief Engineer and Quality Manager).
- Provide risk-based assessment of assurance evidence produced by Contractors in areas
including materials compliance, requirements compliance, interface management, verification and validation, RAMS, EMC, As Built information
- Liaise with infrastructure managers to facilitate their ultimate acceptance of the Works
- Represent the project at relevant technical panels, design reviews, etc. Including those attended by external parties.
- Support the named Supervisor’s Representative under NEC3 ECC and as further defined within Quality Management system and the Contractors obligations for a self-assuring framework.
- Support the Project Manager to coordinate obligations (Client, Designer and Principle
Designer) under CDM 2015 as set out in the CDM Procedure and Project Execution Information.
- As part of the Assurance Process provide technical representation for and on behalf of the Chief Engineer for acceptance of witnessing tests, inspections and verification activities for the Works.
- Support the Project Manager in the responsibility for compliance with the LU Development Agreement (See Volume 2B Part 11), Docklands Light Railway Interface [Part 12], and Network Rail Interface [Part 10] where applicable.
- Monitoring the contractor’s compliance with Environmental, Safety & Health requirements,
escalating issues and seeking intervention where required.
- Support the Project Manager by undertaking surveillance activities of the Works.
- Reviewing and accepting the Contractors Commitments Compliance Plans, Construction Certificates and data to support the Employer’s Completion Process and Handover Management Plan
- Assisting the Project Manager with the authorization of payment certificates. Providing input to the Business Manager on costs to be disallowed related to quality issues and NCRs
- Take reasonable care of your own and others’ health and safety and of those who may be affected in the day-to-day performance of this role by taking personal responsibility for working to Target Zero principles.
- Co-operate with in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times
- Act as a role model for vision and values, behaving in ways that are in alignment with
Ways of Working. Encourage and support others to do so, too.
- Promote equality in the workplace and adopt appropriate behavior when interacting with colleagues.
- Take necessary care to properly protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate information from unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction. Never knowingly put information or information systems at risk.
Main challenges of the job
- Acceptance and controlling FDC resources.
- Maintaining the design configuration for the scoped asset and its interfaces
- Complying with the Project programme
- Technical Assurance of the Works in accordance with the Employer’s (FDC) designs
- Works verification activities in support of Quality Control processes and procedures
- Manage FDC/Contractor Designer’s mitigation plans to effective conclusions
Degree/ HND qualified engineer or equivalent experience e (preferably Chartered/ Incorporated)
Site based experience of engineering and/or construction on major infrastructure projects,
including experience of design, pre- construction activities, construction, testing & commissioning
phases and the associated assurance thereof
Extensive knowledge and experience of construction quality systems and processes
Knowledge of the NEC3 form of contract and of CDM Regulations
Knowledge and experience of site-based ES&H processes and procedures/regulations
Excellent communications and team-working skills