Apply to these jobs
Add to Shortlist
Remove from Shortlist
We are currently seeking candidates that are keen on kick-starting an exciting and rewarding career in software development. While no professional experience is necessary, a strong academic background with a passion for further learning is essential. The successful candidate will embody a friendly, motivated and professional attitude and will join a specialised team responsible for delivering industry leading software services, data management and manipulation solutions.
The software development aspect of the business is growing rapidly and the successful candidate is expected to play an integral part in its continued success. They will be exposed to all elements of the project lifecycle and will be able to employ a range of technologies in order to provide bespoke and creative solutions to everyday problems.
In your day-to-day role you would have opportunity to:
• Work closely with project managers to develop and build a wide array of in-house software, tools and data management solutions for the purposes of flood prediction, management and response.
• Support and enhance existing software and database solutions to expand functionality and improve efficiency.
• Liaise with clients and colleagues to understand, propose and deliver solutions to meet their needs.
In addition, as your skills develop, you will have potential to:
• Plan, manage and lead your own projects with minimal supervision.
• Pursue excellent career development and progression opportunities within the business, and the wider group.
• Branch out further into challenging, industry leading development and data science projects using additional languages such as Scala and R.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
• Proficiency in database technologies - initially with a focus on MS Access but scope to branch out to MySQL and PostGIS.
• Well backed knowledge of C# .NET or other strongly-typed OO language.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Effective organisational, communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and to project deadlines.
Additional skills that are extremely beneficial to this role:
• Exposure to web technologies such as Angular, Bootstrap, jQuery and Leaflet.
• A portfolio of hobbyist or work based experience demonstrating your passion for computing and development will be highly advantageous.
• GIS knowledge (MapInfo, Esri, QGIS)
• Science and/or Geography related subject knowledge or qualifications.
• Full UK driving licence.
• Full time position (40 hours per week).
• Office based location near to Derby city centre.
If this could be of interest please contact Mel Self on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01245 254 760 for further details
Please note: Rates are correct at time of posting and are an approximate indication only. Rates are subject to change